For some weird reason Perlmonks does not allow me to reply with amendments even after I created an account. I can "preview" a reply at Perlmonks but after "create" I get "Permission Denied". Duh. vroom, if you want screenshots, contact me on IRC .
As I wrote everything up for the Perlmonks reply anyways, I'll post it here instead.
Against hossman's version 32 from 2011-02-22 I changed the following:
- removed .pl from filename and documentation
- added --list to list existing notes
- added --hosteurope for Hosteurope mail account preferences and with it a sample how to add username and password into the script for unattended use
- made the "Notes" folder the default (so -f Notes becomes obsolete)
- added some UTF-8 conversions to make Umlauts work better (this is a mess in perl, see Jeremy Zawodny's writeup and Ivan Kurmanov's blog entry for some further solutions). Please try combinations of utf8::encode and ::decode, binmode utf8 for STDIN and/or STDOUT and the other hints from these linked blog entries in your local setup to get Umlauts and other non-7bit ASCII characters working. Be patient. There's more than one way to do it .
I /msg'd hossman the URL of this blog entry.